How do I Know What Boiler to Buy? How do I Cover it?

To help you decide what new boiler you need, it can sometimes be worthwhile to have a surveyor come to your property. They can advise you on which new boiler might suit your needs best.


Don’t worry if you don’t know your combi from your cylinder; Alternatively, you can start an instant chat with one of our team.

New Boilers vary based on what type, brand and size you want. Below we’ll explain what some of the most common varieties are, and how they are suitable for certain sizes of property and demand.

Best Boiler Choice

There are three main types of boiler: combi, heat only (regular) and system.

  • Combi Boilers tend to be more compact and therefore more suitable for smaller properties. There is no need for a hot water cylinder which allows the boiler to take up less space. Most new combi boilers running at a minimum of 90%+ efficiency, providing ecological and financial benefits.
  • Heat only (often known as regular) are ideal for homes where a lot of hot water is used at the same time Ideal where there are two or more bathrooms.
  • System Boilers are ideal for homes with more than one bathroom They generate a constant supply of hot water to any number of taps at the same time.

If you’re looking for something meaningful to take away from reading this: it’s better to buy only after you know what your needs are.

Don’t you just hate it when you’re taking a shower upstairs, and someone turns the tap on downstairs? A system boiler could be the right choice.

What do I need to think about when covering my boiler?

Some boiler cover policies also include boiler servicing, meaning an engineer will annually service your boiler to ensure it’s in good working condition. A boiler cover policy can also help with:

  • Central heating repairs
  • Plumbing and drainage repairs
  • Electrical wiring
  • Pests in your home

Insurers often use our anxiety about potentially losing heating or hot water to inflate the price of boiler breakdown cover.  With just 10 minutes’ work, you can cut costs substantially with a cheaper standalone insurer. Here are some tips:

  • Whether you own or rent, having a gas safety certificate can be very important to your final quote. Each year you (or your landlord if you are a tenant) should have safety checks carried out by a Gas Safe registered fitter on boilers and other gas appliances.

  • Some contents insurance will include boiler cover, either as standard or a paid-for extra. Check with your provider beforehand to avoid being double covered.

  • Most policies won’t pay if your boiler’s not working because it has not been properly maintained, neither will some cover the cost of safety inspections. An annual service is an effective way to avoid these problems and is usually free – in the first year only. Unless your cover includes this, you’ll need to include £60-£100 for an annual boiler service.
  • Insurance & service agreements are two distinct things: while the policies seem nearly identical and what you get with them is similar, there is a key difference. With insurance, if the insurer has financial troubles paying out, you will be protected by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme. With service cover, you have less legal recourse if the firm heads for financial difficulties.

In a nutshell

Hopefully, your policy explains what it is in clear and concise language. If you are unsure, the provider offering the cover (not always the same as the firm that sells it) should state somewhere that they are regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority – this is insurance.

There are many different types of boiler and heating insurance and cover, so when choosing, always double-check what you’re getting and closely inspect the conditions to make sure the policy fits your kind of property (older, larger, thatched and flammable).

It is also worth checking that you are not under or over-covered. Here are the three main types.

Boiler cover with central heating cover

As well as protecting your boiler, there is the added protection of damage caused to your central heating system (including pipes and radiators) and can replace central heating pumps, and more.

Boiler- only cover

This type of policy will usually cover the boiler itself and its controls against breakdown. If the damage is outside the boiler itself, this is when it falls under the definition of being a central heating issue. However, this can be made trickier – legally – since some central heating claims can be a consequence of a faulty boiler.

Home emergency

This varies from provider to provider. What some may consider as an emergency is not always one according to a provider’s terms and conditions.

Broad cover usually includes boiler, central heating, pest infestation as an emergency. However, pay-out limits for each can be low, e.g., from £250 towards a new boiler, up to £750 – so if your boiler is the main concern this could be inappropriate.

Usually, if your health is at risk, your home is uninhabitable it’s usually considered an emergency.