Each manufacturer is different, so check your instructions beforehand. Don’t worry if they’ve been thrown away or they’re buried in a draw somewhere, instructions for your appliances are often available to download on the manufacture’s website. Looking after your washing machine and tumble dryer will make them last longer, save you money and make laundry day a little less of a chore. So, let take a look at the best ways to maintain them.
You may think a washing machine is self-cleaning, after all the clues in the name, right? But your machine needs regular TLC to keep your clothes looking (and smelling) fresh.
- Leave your washing machine door open after each use to prevent moisture build-up.
- Inspect the hoses every few months to check for any cracks or bulges.
- Use the right type of detergent for the water in your area and be sure not to use too much, as this will create residue build-up.
- Regularly clean the inside of the drum thoroughly including the seals and detergent draws.
- One a month, run an empty load with just hot water. You can also purchase specific washing machine cleaners from the supermarket.
- Clean the filter on the drain pump every few months or so. They can be tricky to get to, so check your handbook to find where it is and how to get to it.
Our tumble dryers save us so much time and effort, so say thank you by keeping it clean and well maintained.
- Clean out the lint filter after each use. You’ll be surprised how much comes off your clothes and a build-up can be a fire hazard and will stop your clothes being dried properly.
- Clean the drum around once a month with a damp cloth and mild disinfectant, which will remove any residue and bacteria.
- Empty the water reservoir after each use, to ensure your clothes dry efficiently.
- Clean the filter once a month and vacuum out any excess lint.
- Don’t overfill them. Although it can be tempting to put everything in to save time, overloading your dryer can cause damage, overheating and will use more energy.
Here are a few extra tips to follow when carrying out any maintenance:
|Check your instructions before you carry out any maintenance.||Do anything that will invalidate your warranty.|
|Mark your calendar or set an alarm on your phone, to remind you to complete the tasks.||Make any changes/repairs that you are not qualified to do.|
|Turn off your appliances at the wall before you clean them.||Put anything into a washer or dryer that isn’t supposed to be washed/tumble dried.|
Your washing machine and tumble dryer are an important part of the day to day home life. Without these handy kitchen helpers, there will be inconveniences and stress over unclean garments. Keeping them properly maintained is important and will ensure they work safely and efficiently, and keep your garments looking their best.